[TriLUG] Power Supply for Apex KVM switch

Jeff Tickle jtickle at jtsoft.net
Fri Apr 2 17:57:00 EST 2004

Interesting results:  When I plugged the monitor into the box, the LEDs
lit up dimly.  Plugging in a keyboard or a mouse must draw too much
power becuase they go out again, and in any case, the device is getting
a little power but I guess not enough to power the switching.

The only information for the power I have is what I put in my original
message, and I've googled all over the place for pinouts or even a
manual for it... this apparently is an old or rare model or something.
It's an Apex Outlook EL-40LC which handles 2 PS2 ports, one VGA port,
and one 9-pin port.

However, like I said, it was a really good deal, so all I have to lose
is a cheap KVM switch that does no good without a power supply anyway!
I have dabbled in electrical engineering type stuff before, but I'm far
from any kind of an expert, probably knowing exactly enough to fry
myself and the switch quickly.  But I love making stuff like this, so if
anyone wants to help me out with a fun little side project, and I'll
take Brian McCullogh up on his offer for the laptop power supply!  I'll
bring the toy to this month's meeting and we can have a look at it.

Thanks for the interest!

-Jeff