[TriLUG] Knoppix help? possible video problem

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Apr 6 06:47:39 EDT 2004

It sounds like the root of the problem is that Knoppix is setting the X
refresh rate a tad higher than his monitor can handle.  Once he gets to
the "5 ghosted desktops", have him try Cntrl-Alt-+ (that's + on the
number pad).  That will cycle through the available resolutions, and
with Knoppix, that's virtually every possible combination from 640x480
up to what it thinks is best.  Jason's suggestion is equally likely to
solve the problem, but perhaps at a sacrifice of resolution, when
1024x768 or 800x600 is possible, just with a lower refresh rate.  There
may be a "cheat code" for specifying the refresh rate as well, but I
don't know what it would be off-hand.  He can also pop up a shell prompt
and run 'xconfigurator' and see which settings work, once he finally
cycles down to one that works w/ Cntrl-Alt-+, and then hard-specify that
one in the future with a kernel parameter.

Enjoy!
Aaron J.