[TriLUG] ethernet print server

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Wed Apr 7 20:42:02 EDT 2004

First off, HP JetDirects are the best printservers IMHO.  We have tried
several different brands, D-Link, Linksys, NetGear, etc and none of them have
help up like the JetDirects.  The others work fine but about once a week I
spend my time on each non-HP rebooting the print server because they fail for
some reason or another.

IP printing is IP printing no matter what brand of print server you use,
assuming you will be using ip printing.  Just point your printer to send to
ipp:\\$ipaddress\$portnumber and you are printing.  The most common printer
port is 9100, that is what most OS's use as the default but different vendors
use different port numbers ie NetGear uses 4100.  I did have a net gear that
you didn't even have to configure, if must have used some sort of SMB
protocol because it just showed up in WINS or LinNeighborhood, and you just
captured the printer port.
--chris