[TriLUG] using net groupadd

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 8 17:41:45 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 11:17, Chris Bullock wrote:
> I have a samba 3 domain controller and I want to use groups for the
> workstations to give permissions based on the user instead of have to
> login in locally and assign rights to every user.  It looks like 'net
> groupadd' is my answer.  I have found little documentation about how to
> use it.  Is there a conf file that I can edit to put ie Administrator in
> the Domain Admins group, or does every user have to be entered through
> the command line?
> Regards,
> Chris

Are you referring to NFS? NFS would work for you if the workstations
were Unix based. The Samba server would have to be the NFS master.

Otherwise, you might be referring to using the Samba server as a Primary
Domain Controller. That would work if the workstations were Windows
based.

At a former employer we ran a Samba server as the PDC/NFS master and
that worked very well for our mixed environment... and yes, NFS is not
very secure, but we were fairly tight with our restrictions on which
machines could join the NFS - so it worked well.

Jon Carnes