[TriLUG] copyright question

Jaimie Livingston jaimie at onebutterfly.com
Thu Apr 8 20:16:01 EDT 2004

What you are describing is falls into the gray areas of derivative works,
intellectual property (the look and feel), and patents.

As a former Designer, I would say that copying and modifying as described is
wrong. I would also say that copying the design - the intellectual property
of the designer - as described is also wrong.

That said, there is a gray area where things get murky. How about if you
like the method a page designer is using for expanding menus, and then
proceed to figure out how they did it _without_ copying their code...

I would recommend the following resources:

PierceLaw - http://www.piercelaw.edu/tfield/ipbasics.htm
  Especially the section on "IP Basics for Artists, Inventors, Web Page
Designers..."

And if you're really into reading...
KuesterLaw Link - http://www.kuesterlaw.com/
US Patent Office FAQ - http://www.uspto.gov/main/faq/