[TriLUG] Green Hills calls Linux 'insecure' for defense

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Apr 12 17:31:16 EDT 2004

matusiak said the following on 4/12/04 5:12 PM:

> hey -- anyone in the embedded market want to comment on this?  Green
> Hills produces their own RTOS and is obviously tired of the competition
> from Linux.  they proclaim that rogue nations such as China, Russia and
> others are potentially putting dangerous back-door/malicious code into
> Linux.
>
> i am not a code contributor, so it is hard for me to gauge such
> complaints, but i tend to feel that there are simply too many eyes on
> the project to allow such security lapses.  unless all developers
> decide at once to comply with changes that threatened the security of
> the USA.  i'm not convinced that would happen.
>
> http://www.eet.com/sys/news/
> showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=DOULNYXURUXKKQSNDBCCKHY?articleID=18900949
>
> thankfully, they interviewed some folks that don't seem to agree.

They're on crack.

Inserting a back door into something that millions of people have
source code access to is a lot more difficult than inserting a
back door into a closed source OS.  Why do you think so many governments
are either moving to linux or demanding MS give them their source
code.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton