[TriLUG] resolving a dependency

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue Apr 13 10:32:38 EDT 2004

Michael Thompson said the following on 4/13/04 10:05 AM:

> IIRC, if you use yum:
>
> yum provides <file_name>
>
> should return a list of packages that contain <file_name>.
>
> If anyone knows the equivalent in apt, I'd love to hear about it!

I don't know about apt, but with urpmi you can do

urpmf <filename>

and it will list all packages that have that in it (listing
full location and searching on that in any part of the filename).

You can also do

urpmq <filename>

to not do quite an exhaustive search (i.e. urpmq only searchs
package names instead of full filenames).

Cheers,
Tanner
P.S. If anyone has been trying to get urpmi setup on Mandrake Linux
10.0 community you've probably noticed that they've been reorganizing
the mirrors and that they've all been down.  They're starting to
get back up now and I was able to configure urpmi for my 10.0 box this
morning using the following commands (as root, each command on line line):

urpmi.addmedia main
ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia main-src
ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/10.0/SRPMS with
../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist.src.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib
ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/10.0/contrib/i586 with
../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib-src
ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/10.0/contrib/SRPMS with
../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.src.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update update_source
ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.0/RPMS with
../base/hdlist.cz

--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton