[TriLUG] resolving a dependency

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Tue Apr 13 12:08:58 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 11:27, paul peeler wrote:
> #apt-cache depends package-name
> this will return the package-name's dependencies and what packages can
> satisfy them.

That works, but you have to know the package name first.

Is there a way to do a search for a package that *contains*
<file_name>?  I can do this with yum, but apt does not seem to have
that function.  If a particular app I'm compiling needs foo.so, but
I dont know what foo.so is, or what other package it comes with, I'm
stuck until I find it on google and find out what package its included
in.  (Or installing yum, which has hosed my system a couple of times,
so I dont like using it)

man apt, man apt-cache has given me no clues.  (Unless I've missed
something)

--mike