[TriLUG] bad experience w/ tigerdirect.com

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Apr 14 20:17:05 EDT 2004

While I was in town I headed over to the TigerDirect.com outlet on Capitol
Blvd.  They had a vast array of motherboards made by companies I had never
heard of before.  But $80 for a combination of motherboard and 1.8GHz
Duron CPU seemed like a worthwhile deal so I went for it.

The motherboard is a Chaintech 7KJD.  It says on the box it will run any
Socket A processor.

So I get the thing "home", open the box and start to marry the CPU to the
moboard.  The cheap moboard doesn't support any processor so new as the
1.8GHz Duron, which I figured was sort of a bottom end processor.  It
requires a 13.5 multiplier with 133MHz core clock speed.  The motherboard
only goes to 12.5 multiplier.  Needless to say, it's going back.

I already broke the seal on the processor so it's mine.  I hope whatever
moboard I exchange for is more compatible with the Duron processor.

You know, I would have spent more money for such a combo  at Intrex, but I
*never* had a problem with them selling motherboards that were much older
than their CPU's.  The staff there would actually put the motherboard,
CPU, RAM and cooling fan together for you gratis before leaving the store,
and it always just worked when plopping it into the case.  The guys at
TigerDirect.com store didn't want to help me, and seemed annoyed that I
wanted to buy a processor that was in a tub 10-12 feet off the ground
instead of their display case.  Then they were doubly annoyed when I held
up the register to point out that they overcharged me for the processor
(by $5).

Will see how accomidating they are with my return tomorrow.