[TriLUG] bad experience w/ tigerdirect.com

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 15 00:49:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:46:23PM -0400, Mike Johnson wrote:
> Magnus Hedemark [chrish at trilug.org] wrote:
>
> > So I get the thing "home", open the box and start to marry the CPU to the
> > moboard.  The cheap moboard doesn't support any processor so new as the
> > 1.8GHz Duron, which I figured was sort of a bottom end processor.  It
> > requires a 13.5 multiplier with 133MHz core clock speed.  The motherboard
> > only goes to 12.5 multiplier.  Needless to say, it's going back.
>
> Not that you shouldn't take it back, but you might could 'fix' the
> motherboard.  Go ahead and install the CPU and boot it up.  It'll just
> run slower.  Then, grab and install the BIOS update from:
> http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=53
>
> Like I said, feel free to take it back, but you can likely get it
> working, if you really want to.

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/Download/dl_desc.asp?DCSNo=4&PISNo=53

Version : 6.0
Date: 2003/09/05
Note :
Feature : Support AMD Duron FSB133Mhz CPU 1400+
1600+ ,1800+

A poor rendition of the Appendix II of the User Manual:

Embedded Flash Utility
This mainboard is equipped with an Erasable Flash ROM and an Embedded
Flash
Utility which allows the user to update the BIOS to a newer version.
Embedded
Flash Utility eases BIOS upgrade and eliminate the compatibility issue
between
different  Flash  ROM  type  and  version  of  Flash  utility.
        Update  Your  System  BIOS
	1. Start computer, upon post, press ALT+F2 Keys to enter
	AWDFLASH setup.
	2. Insert the floppy disk with the latest BIOS file into the
	floppy drive A(or B)
	    and  then  press  Enter  to  start  programming.
	                FLASH MEMORY WRITER V 7.52C
			(C) Award Software 2000 All Right Reserved
			For XXX-XXXXXXX-6A69MC3DC-0  DATE: 06/3/2001
			Flash Type- XXXXX E82802AB / 3.xV(1Mb)
			File Name to Program :   7KJD0415.BIN
			Programming Flash Memory
			12    Write OK           No Update
			Write Fail
			123
			Warning : Don't Turn Off Power Or Reset System !
			Sample  of  Programing  Flash  Memory  Screen
			3.  When  finished,  the  system  will
			automatically  restart.
			  Note:
			  Flash BIOS Protection must be set to Disabled
			  in the Advance Chipset
			      Feature from the CMOS Setup Utility menu.
			      See Chapter 3.
			      Don't turn off or restart your system
			      during programming process.
			      Make  sure  that  your  floppy  diskette
			      have  only  one  BIN  file  to  aviod
			      confussion.

Confussion?  Confucian?

Gotta have a FDD.

Go for it.  If it doesn't work, then return it.
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.