[TriLUG] [OT] [Off Topic] LED Digital Display

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 15 12:58:01 EDT 2004

What you're looking for is a Home Theater PC(HTPC) case. There are a
number out there that have LED front displays. I am in the process of
building a MythTV box, but I've decided not to go with one with a
display. A friend pointed me to pcalchemy.com. They've got a number of
HTPC cases with LED displays. Google around with HTPC, you'll find
plenty more.
If you're wanting to add a LED display to an existing case, I don't have
anything to offer.

Ken

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 09:44, Byarlay, Wayne A. wrote:
> Hey, all!
>
> I have in mind a dream computer which actually fits in my home
> entertainment stereo stack. I want it to look slick & black in the
> front, with a DVD drive, IR port for wireless kbd/mouse and Remote
> Control, and to run MythTV (Of course it will be a Linux machine!)
>
> For the front, I want a a complex display, like a stereo has, to display
> stuff depending on what the machine is doing at the time: For instance,
> if playing music, it might show the track name / CD info / Mp3 file info
> / level outputs. If watching a DVD, might display the chapter + time. If
> you are working on the machine, maybe it could display the CPU temp,
> network activity, CPU usage bar, etc.
>
> Where could I possibly get a display like this? I realize that I'd have
> to probably program drivers & stuff for it. But that's the FUN part! =)
>
> Has anybody else ever done this? or know where I could get such a
> complex LED (Not LCD, not bright enough unless it's backlit or color)?
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt