[TriLUG] spyware

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 16 17:35:12 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 15:25, Mike M wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 02:49:56PM -0400, john mitchell wrote:
> > Mike M. wrote:
> > >The only solution I can think of is to use a live-cd like Knoppix todo
> > critical and sensitive tasks like >financial transactions.
> >
> > What makes you think the Knoppix is OK?
>
> Well...er...ahhhh....(doh).
>
> OK. So now what?
> --
> Mike
>
> Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.

Well, Linux has a few things going for it that preclude the use of
spyware:

 - Intrusion detection: some folks snort at this, but linux comes with
built-in intrusion detection (whether you use it or not is up to you);
spyware would set the hounds bellowing!

 - Peer review of code: not only is the source open and viewable, but it
is frequently reviewed by some very good folks all of whom know the code
and what it does.

 - Firewalling of ports: even my simply workstation at home runs a
minimal firewall; minimal but enough to stop any communications across
unauthorized ports.

 - Lack of market access: most spyware in the windows world is attached
to a "free" program or screen saver that the clueless folks download and
run; those same programs are already available free (and with open
source) for Linux users.

Also, Linux (with root access anyway) is mainly used by folks with a
clue or two about the internet and the dangers that lurk out there on
the web. Users without root access would have a darn hard time
installing spyware on their boxes.

Jon Carnes