[TriLUG] is there a better tool than redhat-config-securityle vel

Smith, Brett bsmith at bloodhoundinc.com
Wed Apr 21 11:30:05 EDT 2004

Have you tried www.fwbuilder.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Tanner Lovelace [mailto:lovelace at wayfarer.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 11:22 AM
To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] is there a better tool than
redhat-config-securitylevel

Turnpike Man said the following on 4/21/04 11:12 AM:

> I'm currently being turned onto shorewall, which eases rule making for
> iptables, I used to manually script iptables and was told I'm ridiculous
for
> doing so.  (Hope I have my terminology right here.)  Anyway, shorewall
doesn't
> seem to difficult; I'm currently not aware of a gui for it though.  Webmin
> plugin??  (RHL 9 is hitting End of Life at the end of April, just FYI.)
>
> http://www.shorewall.net and for a couple old style samples of my manual
> iptables stuff: http://www.turnpike420.net/linux2/IPTables/ however
helpful,
> they could be dated.  Those script samples (the .txt files) were used in
RH 7.3
> and would be the file called /etc/init.d/iptables and I believe same
location
> in RHL 9.
>
> Some TriLUGers are researching OpenBSD and pf for firewalling. (I think
that's
> the proper name.)
>
> hope that helps,
> David M.

Well, this won't help you in Red Hat, sorry, but Mandrake has a fairly
good gui tool to setup a "basic" shorewall configuration.  It will
let you choose to open up several well know services (web, dns, ssh,
ftp, mail, pop/imap, samba, ping) and also let's you enter ports/transports
(like 139/tcp) manually.  It's in DrakConf ("Configure your computer"
in the Mandrake menu) under "Security" -> "Firewall".

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton