[TriLUG] OT beer making, was kernel panic with knoppix v3.3

Marty Ferguson marty at rtmx.net
Wed Apr 21 12:19:36 EDT 2004

It's not difficult.  I bought the stuff to do it while up in Indy
on the Roche gig.  1st batch was excellent.  2nd batch was lousy,
but I had heard about using water from a local artesian well which,
in my opinion, added a certain skank factor to the recipe which I found
undesireable.

The simplest method is to brew a room-temperature ale using a single
5 gallon carboy with an air trap on top.  You can have (nominal) 5 gals
of fresh beer in less than 2 weeks.  I say nominal, because you have to
siphon off the beer, and leave behind the solid matter and some beer sludge.
Just put the crud in your compost pile and clean the carboy for the next
batch.

You don't really need all of the stuff they include in the "starter
kits", but you do need to start saving "real" beer bottles.  No screw-off
lids.  Sarnac, Carolina Brewery, Bass, Newcastle...  Brown glass is best for
shelf life, but green is really OK if you don't store your bottled beer on
the sunporch.