[TriLUG] OT: Developer Rates

Marty Ferguson marty at rtmx.net
Thu Apr 22 16:12:06 EDT 2004

125

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org]On
Behalf Of Ken Mink
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 2:45 PM
To: trilug at trilug.org
Subject: [TriLUG] OT: Developer Rates

Okay, this is kind of off topic, but I don't know where else to ask. I
know there are a few independent contractors on the list. I am a
software developer with 10 years experience on various platforms and
languages. Luckily I've managed to steer clear of Windows. I have been
asked to do some freelance work by a friend. It is a Java based server
that will be running on Linux(see not completely off topic) and
accessing data in  a MySQL database. What would be a reasonable hourly
rate to ask for? I have no idea what the current rates are. It's a 24x7
server that will be accessed directly by a cell phone app. It's a fairly
simple server app. I figure about 80 hours of work.

Thanks,
Ken
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt