[TriLUG] RE: OT: Developer Rates

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 23 11:37:57 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 10:24:29AM -0400, Ken Mink wrote:

> none of this has helped me with my situation

Pricing is frustratly difficult.  Especially so for engineering types.
It's psychology, not logic. I've stood in awe watching a PO come in
something that carried 95% margins.  I've stood in awe watching valuable
things being practically given away be rejected.

You could go the Small Business Association for advice on how to set your
price, but  you'll get less information than you'll get here from folks
that have never written software.  You could go to CED and get spammed
continuously and pay $75-$150 for every information event they produce
and I'll bet you $10 you'll still not get the answers you came for.

You asked your question in the best place possible.  This topic has been
discussed in the past on this list, so you can google it out.
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.