[TriLUG] Running Apache on 2 ip addresses

spain at ncssm.edu spain at ncssm.edu
Fri Apr 23 12:19:52 EDT 2004

I have a server with 2 NICs each with an Public IP address on the Internet.
One IP will server internal web applications and public streaming streams
and the other will serve 3 public websites.

As of right now, I have 1 instance of apache running.. and it's listening on
port 80 of all ip addresses..

My vhost config isn't working correctly.. all the vhosts I've setup default
to the main /var/www/html content with is the fedora core test page " you've
successfully installed a webserver" ..

My goal:
    *  the goal is to have 2 ip addresses assigned to this server and have
multiple sites assigned to each individual address as needed.  currently I
have 6 sites to setup but it will grow to probably about 20.. after I'm done
with all the web app programming..

What is the best way to accomplish what I want to do?

a)  Keep the 2 ipaddresses assigned to 2 nics and start 2 instances of httpd
daemon that will listen each ip address  and serve content accordingly
b) assign the 2 ipaddresses to 1 NIC  and run 2 daemons to listen to each
IP?
c)  or can 1 httpd daemon listen and serve vhosts across 2 different ip
addresses?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.. Pls email me if I need to clarify my
email..

  _____

Sincerely,
Jamil Hassan Spain
NC School of Science and Mathematics | External Programs
Phone: 919-416-2641
Web: www.dlt.ncssm.edu <http://www.dlt.ncssm.edu/>
Email: spain at ncssm.edu <mailto:spain at ncssm.edu>
  _____