[TriLUG] ssh 'through' a firewall

Jas Eckard jas at eckard.com
Sun Apr 25 10:41:45 EDT 2004

> thanks for all the comments.  let me explain my setup better (i gave a
> poor description of it before):

Allow me to throw in a completely different approach:

-Install 'screen' on your web server.
-SSH to that web server
        home$ ssh user at www.example.com
-startup screen
        www$ screen
-SSH to an internal box
        www$ ssh userA at internalA
-create a new screen
        <CTRL>-A C
-SSH to another internal box
        www$ ssh userB at internalB
-create new screens and SSH to other boxes as needed
-detach screen
        <CTRL>-A D

Now, anytime you need to connect to any of those machines, screen is
running in the background on www already SSH'd to them.  All you need
to do is connect to www, and re-attach screen:
        www$ screen -r

This has the benefit of not needing to logout everytime to the other
machines, and thus you have the history of what you've done on them.
Also, you don't have the "nopassword" security risk in SSH, since you
still have to use your password or passphrase to connect to all machines
involved, but you don't have to type them in everytime.

Just throwing that out there as an off-the-wall suggestion.

--Jas