[TriLUG] Recommend wireless access point

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Mon Apr 26 20:12:14 EDT 2004

I'm buying a laptop with 802.11b and 11g capability.  What do y'all
recommend for a good access point for my apartment?  I'd like to use the
11g speeds if it won't bankrupt me.

Also, how do you configure your networks at home?  Currently I have my
RR cablemodem connected to my desktop, which acts as my personal
workstation and the server for our stuff (email, web, samba).  If I get
a broadband compatible WAP isn't it wise to set up the cabelmodem on the
WAP device and have it firewall the internet stuff out?  If I do that
how easy it is to provide access to email, web, etc. on the desktop from
the internet?

Thanks,
  --[Lance]
--