[TriLUG] vxworks under linux

davis davis at skink.net
Wed Apr 28 13:34:34 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:23:15PM -0400, Mike M wrote:
> Thought I responded, but it didn't show up AFAIK.
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 09:46:06AM -0400, john mitchell wrote:
> > Mike,
> >   I am using two books on embedded linux to some development work on an
> > old PC-104 system (486DX5, 4 Meg Ram, no video):
> >
> > 1) Building Embedded Linux Systems. Yaghmour, O'Reilly.
> Got it.
> > 2) Embedded Linux HW, SW, and interfacing. Hollabaugh, Addison-wesley.
> Will check it out.
> >
> > The two books together discuss building the GNU toolchain and cross
> > compiling in great detail (one seems to cover areas the other misses!).
> > (the second book is worth it for the script files that come with it).
>
> That's right.  THanks for reminding me.  We were looking at RTLInux vs
> VxWorks.  The WRS promise delivery has not been all that great and
> now I wish we went with RTLinux.
>
> > Both discuss the root file system and have working code to build them.
>
> This won't help with VxWorks unfortunately.
>
> After having read the O'Reilly book
> we decided the ramp time for RT LInux was more than we could afford
> at the time.  The VxWorks ramp time was short but the course has
> flattened out now.  I believe that with RT LInux the capability
> curve climbs longer because you have the source and are never
> restricted.
>
> If I had been familiar with RT Linux before this
> project then I could have successfully argued against VxWorks.
>
> Your efforts with RT LInux are worth the time and effort.  You can
> sell those skills.  Linux will easily roll over the commercial
> r-t O/S going forward.

Hello

I am familiar with Mvista linux and I suggest you consider them as well.
I would also look at the number of maintainers which have mvista.com
email address's compared to rtlinux particulary in the ppc realm.

mvista has:
30+ hits
http://ppc.bkbits.net:8080/linuxppc_2_4_devel/search/?expr=@mvista&search=ChangeSet+comments

fsmlabs has
2 hits and one is an email to send changes when puts occur
http://ppc.bkbits.net:8080/linuxppc_2_4_devel/search/?expr=@fsmlabs&search=ChangeSet+comments

No affiliation.  No mvista stock. yada yada.

JD

> --
> Mike
>
> Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.

Happy Trails

John F. Davis                                            Durham, North Carolina
Airhead BMW Club #6334 1992 R100GSPD                     http://www.skink.net