[TriLUG] Drop and insert transparent firewall (OpenBSD)

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sun May 2 00:37:14 EDT 2004

the other neat thing about this setup is that it can be *very*
minimalistic.  the box that jon referenced is using a 1gb disk with 70%
free space, 32mb ram w/ 20mb free and 6 runnng processes.

management is also different from most linux setups.  since it has no IP
addresses on either interface, you can't ssh to it.  instead, you ssh
to another host and run minicom which communicates with the firewall
via a serial port.  this particular hardware has the ability to direct
the bios display to a serial port, so you can actually see the bootup
info and even change bios options remotely.  pretty slick :-)

props to aaron joyner who helped with the setup and configuration of
this particular device.

jason