[TriLUG] Any opinions about MandrakeOnline?

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Mon May 3 15:04:27 EDT 2004

I too am fond of Mandrake, and I subscribe to the Mandrake Club for $60/year.
It gets me earlier access to newly released isos, and some other cool stuff.

As for updates, I don't like Mandrake Online.  For one thing, do you want them
to automatically be updating your systems?  As much as I like them, I don't
trust the update process to go completely smoothly every time with no
interuption of service.

I subscribe to their "announcements" mailing list which informs me every time
there's an update.  Then it's a simple matter of:

urpmi.update -f update_source
urpmi --update --auto-select

If you really want it automated, you could run a cron job with an extra flag
or two for urpmi to tell it to do things without input.

Now, I'm really not familiar with how ManrakeOnline works, and perhaps it's
easier, simpler or somehow more efficient.  But, in my experience, it's not
too critical.

Michael