[TriLUG] NAS box

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Mon May 3 17:39:03 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 07:48:28AM -0400, Kevin Flanagan wrote:

> > A mix.  In terms of bulk, the 370 MB and 1+ GB images are the heavy
> > hitters, the CAD and related files and < 1 MB are much the higher number
> > of files.
> >

> It sounds like with several >300MB and >1GB files you will need lots of
> cache, that means a lot of RAM in the computer that serves up the files,
> no matter what it is.  When I say a lot, I mean about a Gig, not a huge
> cost.

Kevin,

I'll just pick on this part of your message.

This, for the moment, may be the most valuable part of this
conversation.  At present, I am running a GHz Athlon as the primary
server, which is responsible for mail, Samba, files, whatever.

However, a quick look at Top tells me that I am badly short of memory,
since I seem to have 256 M installed.  I suspect that I could improve
performance in this environment fairly significantly by throwing memory
at the system, even before I buy / build the file server that I have
been asking about.

A couple of months ago, I added Gigabit network cards to the Win2K
machines, as well as the server, with the hope of improving data
movement around the office.  However, it seems that I may have
overlooked something!  ;-)

> Good luck!

Thank you,

> Kevin