[TriLUG] mandrake 10.0 upgrade not autoloading modules

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Fri May 7 15:11:42 EDT 2004

I recently upgraded a machine from Mandrake 9.2 to 10.0 with 2.6.3 kernel.  It
now seems to not be auto-loading kernel modules, specifically those for
iptables.  The machine starts iptables as a service, and I run a set of rules
with iptables, but it complains until I load the correct ones.  So, I added
this to /etc/modprobe.preload
------------
ip_tables
iptable_filter
ip_conntrack
af_packet
iptable_nat
ipt_MASQUERADE
-----------------

But, it still doesn't load those last two modules, and it complains when I try
to run nat until I load them manually.  Any thoughts?

Here's the first entry in lilo.conf:

------------------
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
default="linux"
prompt
nowarn
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="linux"
	root=/dev/hda3
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
	vga=788
	read-only
[root at manager etc]# uname -a
Linux manager 2.6.3-9mdk #1 Fri Apr 23 16:41:09 EDT 2004 i686 unknown unknown
GNU/Linux

Thanks!

Michael