[TriLUG] seeking HW recommendations -- byo RAID systems

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sat May 8 14:10:10 EDT 2004

there aren't a whole lot of motherboards with dual gig-e and 64-bit pci
slots, certainly not inexpensive ones.  by the time you get one, a big
case, high capacity power supply, CPU, ram, etc. you're looking at a
fairly hefty price tag.

my suggestion is to find a slightly older server (most have 64-bit pci
slots, and often dual or gig-e ethernet) and use that instead of trying
to roll your own.  you'll get lots of disk space, solid power supplies,
good cooling, etc, without trying to reinvent the wheel yourself.  let
us know how it turns out!

jason