[TriLUG] backup presentation questions - was [Trilug-announce] Meeting, Thursday May 13 - Linux Backup Strategies

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 10:57:59 EDT 2004

Ben, I can help with 1 example for your first question.  I just bought a new
Dell PE2600, included in that is a DLT drive.  The internal DLT 8000 drive
(which does 40/80GB DLT tapes) was $1000.  Each 40/80GB DLT tape was $30, and
since I have a 4 week rotation (tapes overwritten except last one gets saved
for a year) so I end up with 19 tapes getting overwritten in rotation, 13-14
tapes saved for a year, 1 tape at the end of the year forever, so 35 total
tapes was $1050.

DLT 8000 internal drive: $1000
DLT 40/80GB tapes, 35pk: $1050 ($30/tape)
------------------------------
Total:                   $2050

This is rough but gives you an idea of what I just spent.  This is the 2nd DLT
8000, 40/80GB drive to join my network.  We are implementing RightFax and a doc
management system, so obviously we needed the additional backups.  There is
also DLT superdrive, which does 110/220GB !!

laters,
David M.

PS, I have a DDS2 SCSI drive at home I have never used but would like to learn
how to use... currently connected to a system running FC1, just not "plugged
in" yet.

--- Ben Pitzer <uncleben at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This is a topic that I know many of us are interested in, both from a
> personal/home computing perspective, and from an enterprise perspective for
> those of us who work as systems and network admins and who are responsible
> for the integrity and safety of data on our networks.  It's important for
> all computer users, irregardless of OS or skill level, because we've all
> been burned before by losing important data, either by our own hand, or
> thanks to mistakes made by friends, family or colleagues.
>
> Therefore, I would like to request that we as a group ask some questions
> beforehand here in the list that we would like to see covered in the
> presentation that Jason and Jeremy will make.  If they're anything like me,
> they haven't even started getting screen shots or making notes yet for this
> presentation, but even if they have, perhaps it can help them with the
> editing process, and let them know what we're wanting to hear about.  It
> makes things easier on the presenters, and might shorten alot of the Q&A
> following the meeting, allowing us a little more social time while still
> getting our questions answered.
>
> Therefore, I'll start with a few issues I'd like to see discussed:
>
> 1.  Cost.  It might be asking to much to get some $/GB guestimates for
> hardware and media for backup solutions at the SOHO level, but some idea of
> what to expect in terms of need is one of the first concerns in any backup
> plan, IMHO.  Mainly, this is for folks who are not currently doing any kinds
> of backups on their home machines, and are looking for ways to safely and
> reliably backup data without breaking the bank.

<<snip>>