[TriLUG] Re: OT: Dial-Up ISP

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Mon May 10 13:26:34 EDT 2004

Hey Ben,
   While I knew you were a RR employee when I wrote my experience, I was
not in any way considering you responsible for tech support. This topic
had morphed into talking about ISPs' Linux support. I was using my
experience with RR as an example simply because they have been my ISP
for quite a long time now. I was an early RR customer and have been
very happy with the service and for the most part the support.

    I know that running Linux makes me the minority and any sizable ISP
can only afford to support the majority. Please don't take my complaint
personally.

Ken

On May 10, 2004, at 12:47 PM, Ben Pitzer wrote:

> Ken,
>
> All I'll say here is that I'm not in charge of the support operations
> for
> RR, only the network and systems infrastructure.  I have no control
> over how
> they support or fail to support anything.  I've been similarly
> frustrated in
> the past when I was an RR customer, prior to working here.  I believe
> that
> I've made my point of view on supporting Linux about as clear as I
> can, and
> while I can't make any statements of a personal nature with regards to
> RR's
> support policies, I hope that my being a member of this group, a Linux
> user
> and advocate, and my willingness to help out members of this group who
> have
> been frustrated with RR support in the past will speak for itself.
> I'm not
> front line tech support, and  I won't help you out if you come to me
> first.
> But I've said before that folks who have problems or questions that I
> can
> help with are welcome to contact me if they are unable to get any help
> or
> response from the RR support department.  I won't be able to help in
> every
> case, but I'll see what I can do.
>
> Regards,
> Ben Pitzer

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt