[TriLUG] need a gui for my bash script

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon May 10 22:54:43 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 10:21, Ryan Leathers wrote:
> Recently I wrote a bash script which uses getopts and a read to handle
> user input.  The script works great and is a huge time saver for the
> folks who use it.  However, in spite of my best efforts at providing
> good input validation, help, and usage examples the users are pining for
> a GUI tool.
>
> Can anyone suggest a quick and dirty way to put a GUI wrapper around my
> command line tool?

Web enable it. have it output in a form that is readily displayed as a
web page.  When I first did this (about six years ago) I grabbed a nice
C project from some guy that had Open Sourced it. The project used a
web-enabled form for users to login and change their passwords. It was a
piece of cake to use that as a shell around my scripts and shuttle the
info into the script and the output out to the web.

Alternately, you might look at this as a great time to learn Python.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes