[TriLUG] OT:<rant>Intrex just lost a customer</rant>

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Sat May 15 20:31:10 EDT 2004

Dave Sorenson wrote:
  I remove it from the boxen and find it fried a
> resistor. I take it back and explain what happened and Mark tells me they
> can't take it back because it has "physical damage" (the fried resistor)
> they say my only option is to try to get help from the vendor.

I can't say I necessarily agree with Intrex on this, but I also can't
say I'm surprised. I've seen several "Intrex type" stores that sell
computer parts with signs posted saying there is no warranty on parts
unless THEY install them.  I also know that back home, the one little
computer shop in town quit selling individual components completely.
Their reason? Because warranty returns of fried components were costing
them too much money...

I think some of these places are taking this a little too far, and that
the negative "word of mouth" will ultimately cost them more in the
long run than just providing top-notch customer service... but I can
sort-of see their POV.

TTYL,

Phil