[TriLUG] OT:<rant>Intrex just lost a customer</rant>

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun May 16 14:39:45 EDT 2004

<Flip> Hmmm, on the one hand, you should be able to return a USB device
that burns out - especially if other USB devices are working fine on
your Machine...

<Flop> Anything with an exposed circuit board is fair game for static
shocks, lint induced circuit by-passes, dog licks, etc... and I wouldn't
expect anyone to take it back especially if it worked initially...

<Flip> An exposed circuit board on an USB device!?! That's a sure sign
that some designer screwed up and the device is prone to over-heating
(so some manager pried open the case to let it "vent" and then told them
to ship it). No one should be selling a substandard unit like that!

<Flop> Heck, anyone who buys a substandard unit like that shouldn't
expect it to last - it's designed to burn up!

Again it comes back to "caveat emptor". I think both you and Intrex
share some responsibility.
<Flip> But if Intrex won't replace it because the units are "normally"
good and they haven't had any other complaints, then they should make
good on this one, as it's simply a USB device made out of spec by the
manufacturer.
Intrex should also make that clear to their customers of this device:
that they see this as an open circuit board (and not just simply a
plug-n-play USB device). No returns.
Since Intrex didn't make that clear to you, I'm back in your court!

Jon Carnes