[TriLUG] OT:<rant>Intrex just lost a customer</rant>

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue May 18 11:11:35 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 02:39:45PM -0400, Jon Carnes wrote:

> <Flop> Anything with an exposed circuit board is fair game for static
> shocks, lint induced circuit by-passes, dog licks, etc... and I wouldn't
> expect anyone to take it back especially if it worked initially...

I had a mobo fail once.  I vacuumed it (breaking all ESD precautions
in doing so) and it resumed working and continues to do so today.  I
have exposed and powered circuit boards on my desk even as we speak. I
handle boards by discharging with a socked foot on a concrete floor. In
the past I've carried circuit boards down carpeted halls with synthetic
material soles on my shoes. In all my years of handling circuit boards,
I can't remember disabling a single one.  Others I know have similar
experiences.

ESD is a risk, but it's effectiveness may be overstated.  A visibly
thermally damage comonent on a board is most likely the result of
poor manfacturing - especially if it occurs on first use.  A reasonably
well-made PCI card or USB device should not fail with typical consumer
handling.

The Draconian return policy at Intrex applies to all transactions.
Once I bought disk mounting brackets to see if they were what I needed.
I was admonished to return the brackets within hours to have a chance at
getting a refund.  A little out of the ordinary compared with other
stores.

Chaulk up the $20 loss to experience/education.  No system is 100%
efficient.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.