[TriLUG] OT:<rant>Intrex just lost a customer</rant>

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Tue May 18 11:56:22 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:40:21AM -0400, Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> Mike M wrote:
> >ESD is a risk, but it's effectiveness may be overstated.
>
> It should be noted that the properties of static transmission through
> the human body varies greatly from person to person.  I, too, have
> handled lots of hardware without ever taking much precautions...and have
> never had a problem.  But I have a friend who starts loosing components
> as soon as he takes the cover off.  I'd swear he can ruin boards just
> by looking at them.

The problem is that ESD damage can be subtle.  The component can be damaged
by the ESD but continue to work - with a shortened lifespan.  Or it can
fail in non-obvious ways, like a DIMM with a stuck bit.

Get enough charge and it can be dramatic.  I once reached out to plug in a
network cable on a PC and Pow!  A visible white spark from finger to 10BT
connector.  That network card was toast.

My current desk chair is really bad in winter.  Standing up causes audible
crackles in the chair fabric and pops from my desk speakers as they amplify
the induced RFI.  I don't work on systems from this chair!

In short (ha!), grounding yourself is just good practice, especially with
sensitive items like memory.  You can probably get away with not doing it,
but why take the risk?

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net