The spammers are winning (was RE: [TriLUG] Port 25 blocked)

Rick DeNatale rick at denhaven2.homeip.net
Tue May 18 13:38:52 EDT 2004

So far, my ISP still allows port 25, which is good because they also use
draconian "spam" filtering on incoming mail to their servers.  For
example:

* Mail from Yahoo groups which goes to my isp account frequently stops
because is using a server which is on the Spamcop RBL.

* I'm continually running into mailing lists which are also on one of
the RBL's which my ISP uses to trash incoming mails.  This prevents my
getting the confirmation e-mail when I try to sign up. IIRC I had this
problem with this mailing list, as well as several of the sourceforge
lists.

I tried real hard to convince my ISP that throwing away email on this
basis wasn't a good idea, but failed. That's why I set up a local mail
server.  I just hope that they keep port 25 open.

In the meantime my local Spamassassin catches lots of spam which they
blissfully pass through.