[TriLUG] new hard drives in RH9

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon May 24 16:12:32 EDT 2004

---- WARNING --- This will destroy any data currently on the hard drives
in question.

I'm doing this from the top of my head, so use this as a guide.  Read
manual pages when things look inconsistent or you want more details.
Reading all of the manual pages for all of these commands is
recommended.  For a cursory example, pull up a terminal window and do
the following:
fdisk /dev/hdc     # This is an interactive program, something like the
following will be required
# n [Enter] - create a new partition
# p [Enter] - make it a primary partition
# 1 [Enter] - the first primary partition on the drive
# [Enter] [Enter] - have it fill the entire drive
# w - write the partition table to disk
# q - exit the program
fdisk /dev/hdd     # repeat previous steps for the 2nd drive
mke2fs /dev/hdc1     # format the drive
mke2fs /dev/hdd1
mkdir /data1     # Make the directory where the disk will be mounted
mkdir /data2
mount /dev/hdc1 /data1     # Mount the hard drive
mount /dev/hdd1 /data2

After doing this, you can use the drives at those mount points.  But,
you want them to be mounted on start up, so you'll want to add them to
the /etc/fstab file, with entries something like this:
/dev/hdc     /data1     ext3     defaults     1      2
/dev/hdc     /data1     ext3     defaults     1      2

For more details about what each of those means, check out the fstab
manual page.

Hope this helps as a starter in the right direction!

Aaron S. Joyner