[TriLUG] Need a Stupid Sendmail trick

Dave Sorenson dave at logicalgeek.com
Wed May 26 16:50:46 EDT 2004

OK, need help from the Sendmail gods.. I need to reconfigure sendmail to
listen for incoming request on a port other than 25. I know this will break
a number of things, but it may also help me end-run Bellsouth's asinine
block of outgoing (I can understand this somewhat) AND incoming (completely
whacked IMHO) 25 traffic garbage.

What I need to do is to use my mail server for outgoing SMTP traffic. I can
configure my client to send on alternate ports so that is not an issue. Mail
will leave my laptop, travel to my mail server (on an unblocked port) sender
(me) will get verified and then out through Bellsouth's SMTP via the
smarthost relay (that's the only thing they did not break when I "Upgraded"
my DSL). That way I don't need to keep changing my mail client settings
depending on what network I happened to be on...

I know this breaks incoming to my server, that’s not an issue. I'm using a
pop account on a server outside of the Bellsouth network for incoming mail.
My biggest problem for the moment is to not have to mess with the client
settings every time I change locations and networks.

Please don't tell me to change providers, I'm going to when I move in with
the fiancé at the end of my lease.. I just need to end-run BS stupidity for
a few months.

TIA

Dave S