[TriLUG] Re: Need a Stupid Sendmail trick

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed May 26 20:06:44 EDT 2004

I like the ssh tunnel method mentioned earlier, but for years I've setup
a simple port relay out of xinetd that simply moves one of the higher
connection ports to port 25 locally.  Then you simply set your email
client to attach to the higher port.

service 4225
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        log_on_success  += HOST DURATION
        log_on_failure  += HOST
        redirect = localhost 25
        disable                 = no
}

This has the added advantage of making the connection seem as though it
is via localhost - so it bypasses a lot of local relaying rules.
Caution, be sure to monitor the use of this port to make sure you don't
become a known open relay.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes