[TriLUG] help with recovering ext3 filesystem

uzoma nwosu uzoma at audioverse.com
Sat May 29 08:52:03 EDT 2004

I installed Fedora Core 2 last night on my deskstop.  And in haste (it
crashed during install the first time--and yes, I did check images
before burning them), I think left all of my drives checked on the
"remove all linux filesystems" option.  Whenever I try to mount
/dev/hdb1 it gives me the error that that "partition is either
non-existent or swap device".

So the question is, am I boned or can I fsck it to recover my
partition?  If can use fsck what superblock should tell it to use?  Any
other solutions?  As far as I understand, all fedora has done is wipe
the partition table and the data is still there, correct?  I'm trying to
research this online but am not confident enough to be messing around
with an already fragile situation.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Uzoma