[TriLUG] need better router

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Jun 2 10:46:12 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Mike M wrote:

> Thanks all for the replies.
>
> The memory issue was mentioned several
> times.  What I recall about this machine is that extra memory is about
> as expensive as buying an entire used computer with more memory.  I have
> a slower computer with more memory.

Maybe if you buy retail.

Give Bruce Smith an email.  He isn't very active in TriLUG anymore but
probably has what you're after very inexpensively.
bruce.smith at bbandt.com.

> What would be the better choice?
> 1. P5-133 16MB
> 2. P5-75 32MB

For strictly a router/firewall?  I'd go for more the 75MHz box.

> I like the BSD suggestion and I'd like to think that I'm not a chicken
> shit for avoiding it for so long even though I am security paranoid.
> Is BSD friendly to old computers that cannot boot from CD?

Absolutely.

Installing over the Internet, I got OpenBSD 3.5 installed on a 1GHz
celeron in about 15 minutes.  It will take a little longer on an older
system, but no more than 30 minutes on a broadband connection.

You can boot it from floppy, CD, PXE, tape... it's pretty flexible and the
various boot methods are well documented.