[TriLUG] need better router

John Broome john at jbroome.dyndns.org
Wed Jun 2 13:13:29 EDT 2004

Mike M wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:46:12AM -0400, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Mike M wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks all for the replies.
>>>
>>>The memory issue was mentioned several
>>>times.  What I recall about this machine is that extra memory is about
>>>as expensive as buying an entire used computer with more memory.  I have
>>>a slower computer with more memory.
>>
>>Maybe if you buy retail.
>>
>>Give Bruce Smith an email.  He isn't very active in TriLUG anymore but
>>probably has what you're after very inexpensively.
>>bruce.smith at bbandt.com.
>

> It would be cool to get more mem for those old boxes.  I'll try Bruce
> posting a "wanted" solicitation on the list.
>
>>>What would be the better choice?
>>>1. P5-133 16MB
>>>2. P5-75 32MB
>>
>>For strictly a router/firewall?  I'd go for more the 75MHz box.
>

> Ah, the list oracle splits 50-50.  Coin toss time.

I'll break the tie and go for the p-75 with more ram.  The advantage to
openbsd/pf over the things like clark connect and smoothwall is being
able to get something working with a tiny hdd, and little ram.

My pf box at home has an 800 MB drive in it, and I think it's only using
about 300 MB for a stripped down, pf only install

>>>I like the BSD suggestion and I'd like to think that I'm not a chicken
>>>shit for avoiding it for so long even though I am security paranoid.
>>>Is BSD friendly to old computers that cannot boot from CD?
>>
>>Absolutely.

The boot floppy is your friend.