[TriLUG] NIC may be too old

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Jun 2 16:13:42 EDT 2004

Well that depends entirely on if you plan on stuffing more than 10
Megabits of traffic through it.  :)  If it's the external interface
connected to your DSL/Cable/* router - it's likely that the other side
of the cable is only 10Mbit anyway, and probably limited beyond that to
at most 3Mbits, so anything more is wasted.  That 3com NIC is certainly
capable of shoveling it's rated capacity worth of data.

Aaron S. Joyner

PS - for those who are curious, "xl" is the driver for 3com nics in
*BSD, hence the name of the interface is xl0.