[TriLUG] MDK 10 - Kernel upgrade issue

William Schulz sws at trilug.org
Thu Jun 3 10:22:40 EDT 2004

I installed MDK 10.0 Official on my main desktop box (AMD Athlon 2500+,
1GB, etc) and it has been running without issue, almost.

In the process of installing the security updates, etc, I installed the
new kernel (urpmi kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.3.13mdk[-1-1mdk.rpm]).  The
system is/was currently running kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.3-7mdk.

As MDK 10 still uses lilo as the default bootloader, I checked it, and
ran lilo -v (no errors).

After rebooting, I received several errors [1], and the kernel panic'd.
I've scoured the lilo.conf [2] file looking for errors without success,
and googled for an answer.  There are instances of the init= error, but
most of them relate to 1) a custom/hand built kernel on a system where
2) /sbin/init was not installed, or was in another location.  My system
has /sbin/init (though it would seem it's not found because the device
is not mounted properly.

Last error: Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

For reference, a listing of /boot is available also [3] showing the the
initrd is available.

This system currently has nothing on either SATA, and has a single 80GB
drive on IDE0, and a CD-RW on IDE1.

I am at a complete loss as to what the issue might be.  The system boots
fine with the label="linux=i686-up-4GB" setting, and in fact the kernel
upgrade left that as default=.  The only change I've made to the
lilo.conf was to change the default to "linux".

Any assistance and/or ideas are appreciated.

SWS

[1] http://www.trilug.org/~sws/mdk10/error.txt

[2] http://www.trilug.org/~sws/mdk10/lilo.conf

[3] http://www.trilug.org/~sws/mdk10/slash_boot.txt