[TriLUG] destructive spam?

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 3 11:41:42 EDT 2004

You are familiar with URL's that contain a protocol identifier (http:, ftp:)
followed by a host identifier (trilug.org, ftp.ics.uci.edu) followed by an
object reference (index.html, pub/ietf/uri/rfc2111.txt).

Think of "cid" and "mid:" as being the URL way to point to an object
contained within the same MIME-encoded message.

I'd offer an example, but I refuse on principle to create a MIME-
encoded message.

It tells the HTML-interpreter (which the would-be mark is using to
read his mail...not that any of us would ever do that...) where to find
the object it needs to correctly render the HTML page.

I presume that if said HTML-interpreter also has a tendency to
execute objects it believes to be executable, such a construct
could be used to cause the execution of code within  the local
context.

Any better?  I swear it's all English...