[TriLUG]Broadcast Storms (was: Port 631)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 22:14:47 EDT 2004

Joshua Gitlin wrote:

> Apparently (and don't ask me how or why) CUPS on my system had brought
> the entire campus network to it's knees. (Or so I was told). One of my
> NICs was sending out broadcast packets as fast as it possibly could, and
> the second NIC was answering. Both interfaces had their own IP, and
> somehow all this traffic was disturbing the campus network. To solve the
> problem, the network administrator had first isolated the network in my
> building from the rest of the world, and then cut off access to the port
> in my room. Of course now I had plugged in to my roomate's port and was
> continuing to broadcast. As the admin was explaining this to me, I
> unplugged the cable so fast I almost ripped the jack out of the wall!

That's not as surprising as it might sound, in some senses.  The
phenomenon  you're describing is known as a "broadcast storm" and
is fairly well known in the networking world.

The interesting thing is, in general routers are configured to NOT
forward broadcast packets, so a broadcast storm will be limited to a
given subnet.  One would expect a university network to be broken up
into subnets separated by routers to *some* degree.. or at least
I would.. so to hear that this brought down the entire
network strikes me as a little odd.

On a related note, I've had similiar experiences caused by
excessive multicast packet traffic. (conceptually not
that much different than broadcast traffic, I suppose).
Our LAN at the office was crawling one day, and when I started watching
the wire with TCPDump, I saw all these packets destined
for port 5555.. at the time I had NO idea what it was
all about.. eventually determined that two JBoss
servers that were on the network, were sending / replying
to the IP Multicast requests that JBoss servers use
to discover each other; something to do with their
clustering feature.  Those servers didn't need
to be clustered, so I just disabled the Multicast
discovery stuff on each, and BAM, the LAN went back

So yeah, it's not at all unusual for one or two
machines on a network, doing something weird, to
cause problems for the entire network.

TTYL,

Phil

to normal.