[TriLUG] User Friendliness

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 01:27:17 EDT 2004

Jeff Tickle wrote:

> In IRC we were discussing some of the little things that Windows does
> better than Linux in terms of user friendliness.

One of the (few) things I like about Windows, compared to Linux,
is the ability to drag and drop menu items into and out of the
"Start" button menus.  Too be perfectly honest, I still to this
day have no idea how to add or remove an item from those
menus, in Gnome or KDE.

Mind you, I haven't really put any
effort into figuring out how, but that's kinda the point...
On Windows, it's dirt obvious.. drag 'n drop.. on Linux, I have
to stop and dig around to figure out how... which means a
mental "Context Switch" away from whatever I'm really
trying to do.

Little things like that are some of the areas
where I feel Linux needs to improve to be
a little more viable as a desktop replacement.

TTYL,

Phil