[TriLUG] User Friendliness

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 4 11:11:37 EDT 2004

On Jun 4, 2004, at 2:07 AM, Timothy A. Chagnon wrote:

> I applaud your effort. Here's my $0.02.
>
> On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 01:00, Jeff Tickle wrote:
>> Because if there's one
>> thing Microsoft got right, it's making a computer easy to use...
>
> I disagree with you here.  I think Microsoft has done much harm by
> making things "user friendly."  They have essentially lowered the bar
> _so_ far in this respect that users don't learn anything about what's
> really going on in the background.  Plus, doing anything slightly more
> advanced takes that many more steps to get past the user friendliness.

I have to seriously disagree with you there. I am no fan of MS, but
they have made the PC accessible to the masses and that is a good
thing. They've gotten complacent. Since you used the analogy of
teaching someone to fish, I'm going to use one too; the automobile. Any
one can purchase and safely(if they want) operate a car. The modern
automobile is an incredibly complex piece of equipment. From ABS
brakes, to variable transmissions, to traction control suspensions. Do
you know how these subsystems work? I don't. Yet we drive a car
everyday, mostly without issues. Yes, in the early days of automobiles
everyone was a mechanic. Now the car is user friendly and mechanics are
a specialty. Yet, if you are so inclined, you can learn about the inner
working of your car and modify, fix, whatever.

This is where Linux and PC computing in general needs to get to. I
recently ditched Linux on my laptop in favor of a Powerbook. Why,
because I needed the easy of use to be more productive at work.

And in reply to another part of the thread, GIMP is a bad example. It
has one of the worst UI's I've ever seen. There is great power there,
but finding it is a nightmare. Bad example, bad.

Ken