[TriLUG] User Friendliness

Bob Shepherd rwshep2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 13:11:14 EDT 2004

I'm a programmer who codes for Microsoft technologies in a Microsoft shop.  I
use SuSE 9.0 for my workstation.  Why?  An email virus was propagated from my
email account via a (then) unpatched security hole in MS Outlook
Express.  The virus picked a random historical email and sent it to everyone
in my address book.  Fortunately the email was innocuous, but it could have
been something private.  That was it for me.

The happy news?  I generally like the typical features of SuSE / KDE better
than Windows.  KMail beats the pants off OE.  Nice text editors.  Multiple
desktops.  YaST, the SuSE configurator makes everything pretty simple.  It
has a centralized GUI package manager for all my installed applications, with
automatic updates.  Can Windows do that?  No way.  After about 6 months I got
confident enough to replace my mom's Windows PC with SuSE.  It's going well.
Her biggest problem was that she didn't know to hit <enter> after typing a
URL location in FireFox (IE has a 'go' button.)  Other than that I haven't
heard from her.

I am an experienced applications developer.  But I have zero interest in
fiddling endlessly with my desktop workstation, just to get it to do "basic"
things.  When I first tried to switch to Linux about two years ago (RedHat
8), I couldn't stand all the "shelling out" to do simple things.  (And, yes,
I never figured out how to edit the start menu until I switched to KDE.)

Maybe RedHat is better these days?  All I know is I found a great alternative
in SuSE that's just as easy to use as Windows.