[TriLUG] 1.2.3.4. I declare a distro war...

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 4 18:15:38 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:37:40PM -0400, Dave Sorenson wrote:
> I understand and acknowledge this is throwing gasoline on a forest fire, but
> I feel <EVIL GRIN> mischievous </EVIL GRIN> today. I'm finally ready to dual
> boot my new Compaq laptop, gotta keep XP so I'm looking for good dual boot
> behavior. (I know XP is the bratty kid in my dual boot classroom, but I need
> a distro that will coexist as well as it can). Good hardware support is
> tops, Knoppix finds all the hardware except the Broadcom wireless, I'll use
> NDIS wrapper for that.

I've got a write up on how I did Knoppix and XP on a new Toshiba.  I'll
send it or publish it on the web if you want it.

> My question given the power/special hibernate/ handle M$XP shenanigans, what
> is the best distro to load on a modern laptop?

Linux is behind in power management.  Using the 2.6 kernel compiled for
APCI is the way to go.  There is a relatively new HOWTO written by
Emma H. from the Debian list.  I read it but did not do it.  IIRC it
was well written and Emma seems like high-watter.  I'd be interested
in your success.  Extra effort for power management on laptop is
responsible for me not reinstalling LInux on my Toshiba when is came
back from mobo replacement.

Repeat after me: Knoppix is not Debian.  You may want to convert
Knoppix to Sid/Unstable to get yourself aligned to the Debians.  It
helps when you post to the list.

> Not asking for flames, just honest opinions.

You threw the match and chased it with foam?  How much fun is that?
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.