[TriLUG] no openGL - help

Scott Miller stm0103 at mail.ecu.edu
Sat Jun 5 22:58:24 EDT 2004

  I'm running Mandrake 10 Official - 2.6.3-7, Geforce4 Ti4200. I have
installed the nvidia driver using their script, etc. And I get the
nvidia splash screen when X starts. However, when trying to run any 3D
games, they die instantly. Or as for Quake, it just freezes when
starting the 3D.

  My XF86Config is edited correctly, according to the nvidia README.
This line appeared in my options of the XF86Config, which is sort of odd
(?):

Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"

And here are some errors from the messages log:

Jun  5 22:32:14 localhost kernel: nvidia: no version for "struct_module"
found: kernel tainted.
Jun  5 22:32:14 localhost kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints
kernel.
Jun  5 22:32:14 localhost kernel: 0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86
NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-5336  Wed Jan 14 18:29:26 PST 2004
Jun  5 22:32:15 localhost kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant
device at 0000:00:00.0.
Jun  5 22:32:15 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
Jun  5 22:32:15 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode

lsmod shows the nvidia module loaded, as well as via-agp and agpgart.

The odd thing is that I have had Mandrake 10 with this kernel installed
previously on this machine, and quake/tuxracer all worked just fine. Any
tips are greatly appreciated- thanks guys.

Scott
G-Vegas, NC