[TriLUG] FW: NC*SA Meeting - Monday, June 14, 2004 - An overview of IBM's Linux Technology Center

Frye, Matthew Matthew.Frye at rexhealth.com
Tue Jun 8 16:03:27 EDT 2004

FYI  - Yes, there will be pizza.

-----Original Message-----
From: ncsa-announce at ncsysadmin.org [mailto:ncsa-announce at ncsysadmin.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 9:23 AM
To: 'ncsa-announce at ncsysadmin.org'
Subject: NC*SA Meeting - Monday, June 14, 2004 - An overview of IBM's
Linu x Technology Center

The next meeting of the North Carolina System Administrators will be Monday,
June 14, 2004, at 7pm.  Details about the meeting and directions are
provided in this note.  We hope to see you there!

      	Topic: An overview of IBM's Linux Technology Center
   		Speaker: Frank Novak, IBM
      	7:00 p.m., Monday, June 14, 2004

            Dreyfus Auditorium
		Research Triangle Institute
            Research Triangle Park, NC

Abstract:
As Linux [ and Open Source] becomes better and better, it is being embraced
in a wider variety of places, both in the breadth of deployment within an
enterprise, as well as its continued growth globally, typically replacing
proprietary technologies, similar to the spread of the internet and other
Open Standards based efforts.  Linux is becoming the reference platform of
the internet; driven by a global, talented pool of skills around Open
Source.

IBM has been an active supporter and member of the Linux effort for over
five years. At the heart of the Linux efforts at IBM is the IBM Linux
Technology Center (LTC).  The LTC is world-wide development team inside of
IBM working as peers within the Linux community. Our goal is to actively
accelerate the growth of Linux as an enterprise operating system while
simultaneously helping IBM brands exploit Linux for market growth. We aim
not to control the direction of Linux, but to work as peers within the
shared vision of the Linux community leadership and participate in setting
Linux design and development direction.  The LTC currently has programmers
involved in many Linux projects including scalability, serviceability, OS
security, network security, networking, file systems, volume management,
performance, directory services, standards, documentation, accessibility,
test, security certification, systems management, cluster management, high
availability, storage & I/O, PowerPC support, power management, reliability,
internationalization, and other projects required to make Linux a fully
mature UNIX ready for mission critical workloads.

After a brief overview of Linux at IBM, and the LTC efforts in general,  the
presentation will cover a number of topical areas, including some of the
enterprise enhancements appearing in 2.6 based distributions.

Bio:
Frank Novak started his career at IBM at the IBM TJ Watson Research Center
in Yorktown, NY.  Frank was part of the team that prototyped the original
IBM ThinkPad ( the 700T - a tablet computer) and worked with the product
team to bring the prototype to market.  He was co-inventor on several
patents related to hardware and software design for power management on this
system.  He was a core member of the team that developed a variety of
infrared communication subsystems.  Frank worked on a variety of the basic
protocols for Ir communication, including the IrDA specifications, where he
was primary or secondary author on the base protocols, as well as major
contributor to the implementation of the drivers for a variety of operating
systems.

Frank has been involved with Linux since the mid 1990s, where he used Linux
as a tool, development platform, and place to tinker.  Frank joined the IBM
Personal Systems Group (aka IBM PC company) in the cross brand architecture
and technology group.  Frank was part of the initial core team that helped
drive Linux acceptance within IBM.  During the mainstreaming of Linux at
IBM, Frank has held numerous roles in development , worked with external
partners, as well as a stint in marketing.   Frank is currently an architect
in the IBM Linux Technology Center, where he continues to work extensively
with the legal, development, and business teams on Open Source and Linux
issues.

==============================

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening and/or system administration.  We will be providing
food and drink for the evening. If you have any questions please
contact the Steering Committee at:

  ncsa-steer at ncsysadmin.org

    ncsa-discussion .. general discussion
    ncsa-announce .... meeting announcements
    ncsa-jobs ........ employment opportunities
    ncsa-steer ....... steering committee

These are currently run on a Mailman list manager at
ncsysadmin.org - please see this page on our web site
for more information about these lists:
http://www.ncsysadmin.org/lists.html

(Please note, if you are a member of sage-members at usenix.org, you
will also get a copy of these announcements.  We cannot unsubscribe
you from that list.)

==============================

Directions to Research Triangle Institute:

Directions to Research Triangle Institute
See also a map to the meeting place.

>From I-40 west of RTP (e.g. Chapel Hill):

Get onto I-40 heading east. Follow I-40 to the NC-147 - Durham Freeway -
North (towards Durham). Stay in right lane. Shift right as soon as
possible after merging with traffic coming off I-40 westbound.

Exit to the right at the next exit (Cornwallis Road). At top of exit, turn
to the left. (If you turn right and cross over the bridge, you are going
the wrong direction.) After turning left onto Cornwallis, shift
immediately to the right lane. Take the second right onto East Institute
Drive. Take the second right off of East Institute Drive. Dreyfus
Laboratory will be the first building on your right. Use the parking lot
in front of the Lab and enter at the main entrance.

>From I-40 east of RTP (e.g. Raleigh):

Get onto I-40 heading west. Follow I-40 to the NC-147 - Durham Freeway -
North (towards Durham). Shift to rightmost lane as soon as possible Exit
to the right at the next exit (Cornwallis Road). At top of exit, turn to
the left. (If you turn right and cross over the bridge, you are going the
wrong direction.) After turning left onto Cornwallis, shift immediately to
the right lane. Take the second right onto East Institute Drive. Take the
second right off of East Institute Drive. Dreyfus Laboratory will be the
first building on your right. Use the parking lot in front of the Lab and
enter at the main entrance.

>From north of RTP (e.g. Durham):

Get onto NC-147 - Durham Freeway - south. Exit at the Cornwallis Road
exit. At the top of the exit, turn left to cross over the bridge. After
turning left onto Cornwallis, shift immediately to the right lane. Take
the second right onto East Institute Drive. Take the second right off of
East Institute Drive. Dreyfus Laboratory will be the first building on
your right. Use the parking lot in front of the Lab and enter at the main
entrance.

A map of RTI is available at http://www.rti.org/images/campus.gif

Enter through the glass doors at the front; all of the doors except one
will be locked, but one will be open for our access.  Walk through the
lobby, go straight out the glass doors, across the patio, and straight
into Dreyfus Auditorium.

----- Confidentiality Notice -----
This e-mail and any attached documents contain confidential information belonging
to the sending entity, Rex Healthcare, and is intended only for the use of the
individual(s) or entity(s) associated with the recipient addresses listed in the message
header.  The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this
information to any other party.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the
contents of the email and/or attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you received this
e-mail transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return
or destruction of this information.

To report abuse or inappropriate use, please email abuse at rexhealth.com.