[TriLUG] How do I connect to a remote X client?

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 8 16:42:08 EDT 2004

Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com> writes:
> How can I connect to a remote X client?

Lets start here.  We need to get our terminology straight.
Perhaps the answers will show themselves.

A "client" is an application which wants to draw boxes on glass.
A "server" is an application which services a client, and does the
glass-drawing.  The server runs on the box in front of you, the
client runs somewhere else.

Generally, you don't "connect to" a client, but rather the client
connects to you.

There's an application (XDM) which manages a display for a host.
It does things like put up an X-based "Login/Password" screen
and allows you to choose your desktop manager.

The client which connects to this is called XDMc and the daemon
which runs this client is XDMcd.

Am I on the right track for what you're looking to do?

> Can I run a Gnome display from
> some remote host in a window inside my default display?  Can I do it in
> a virtual console?

It seems like you want an XDMc on your local box to display the
XDM logon for a remote box, either inside an X-window of a
local X display, or by creating a seperate X-display on a different
virtual console of the local box.  Is this near right?

I'd never seen a remote X console run in a window, except through
VNC (which you say you don't want to do). I've seen the latter done.
If you did this, you'd be able to do something like ALT-F9 and
have a Gnome desktop from another box; starting x-load (for example)
within that Gnome would show you the load on the remote host..

If I'm understanding you right, you want to investigate XDMcp
   http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/